Thursday 20 August 2015

My Birth Plan

Now I'm in the final few weeks of my pregnancy (eek!), it's about time I settled on my wishes and preferences for the birth. Having never done this before, I obviously don't really know what to expect so I've tried to be pretty flexible with my plan, apart from a couple of things I'm adamant about, which are highlighted in red.

I must admit it took me quite a while to finalise my birth plan- I think I started thinking about it at around 27 weeks- because I wanted to make sure I fully researched things like pain relief and interventions and be sure I was making an informed decision, so I'd definitely recommend investing a bit of time in this task. Another tip is to try and keep it concise and easy to follow- mine is in bullet points under headings and fits on one side of A4- so that medical staff can see at a glance what you want.

So without further ado, here you go!

 
 
 
My Birth Plan

Birth Partner
- Boyfriend D- to be there at all times

Staff
- Fine for student midwives to observe and deal with me, but only under supervision

Environment
- Left alone with as few interruptions as possible
- Able to eat, drink and play own music

Positions for labour and birth
- Remain as upright and mobile as possible
- Keen to try birthing pool if available
- Open to positions for giving birth- whatever is comfortable at the time

Pain Relief
- None unless intervention is required
- Open to trying gas and air
- Will provide own TENS machine

Fetal Monitoring
- Intermittent unless medically necessary
- No speeding up labour artificially unless medically necessary

Intervention
- Willing to have episiotomy but only after trying hot compress and perineal massage
- NO FORCEPS OR VENTOUSE- go to C-section if assistance is required

Third Stage
- Physiological
- Cord to be cut by boyfriend only after pulsing has stopped

Skin to Skin
- Immediately after birth and for as long as possible

Feeding
- Breastfeed asap after birth
- Willing to give formula if there are any problems with breastfeeding

Vitamin K injection
- Baby to have vitamin  injection when required

IF BABY NEEDS TO BE TAKEN FROM ME AT ANY POINT SHE IS TO BE ACCOMPANIED BY MY BOYFRIEND.

 
And that's it! It seems like a lot of points but it is pretty straightforward once you get going, and although it's wise to do your research and have your hopes and preferences notes, at the end of the day as long as both you and baby are healthy afterwards that's all that matters!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment